Tuesday, September 21, 2010

The old Boob vs Bottle debate

So, I'm constantly going back and forth in my head on to continue to breastfeed or just go to bottles. Inevitable, I always end up sticking with the boob. But I think I'll make a pro-con list here for each:

The Boob
Pros:
1. It's SO good and natural for Ryder (#1 reason)
2. It doesn't require mixing/preparing
3. It's always the perfect temperature
4. You don't have to wash as many bottles as you would if you did bottles only (you still have pump stuff and the bottles that you pump into that you have to wash though)
5. It doesn't have to be packed up and brought with you wherever you go
6. It burns major calories (a very close second the the #1 above...I love naughty food)
7. Free
Cons:
1. I can never stray too far from either Ryder or the pump. It's like a ball and chain.
2. I have to always wear clothes/bras that have easy access to the boob
3. Even though Ryder is sleeping through the night, I still have to wake up once in the middle of the night and pump. So no full night of sleep
The Bottle
Pros:
1. I could be gone longer from Ryder (not that I want to be, but you know...)
2. I could wear normal clothes and real bras
3. I could sleep through the night
4. Joe could do feedings too, not just me!
Cons:
1. Can be expensive
2. I would have a LOT more bottles to clean
3. Ryder seems to not do very well with bottles and being gassy/fussy. We've noticed that after I work my weekend of three days in a row, he is really a gas man and has tummy troubles. I think it's because he's not used to having so many bottles (and all the air that comes with them)
4. I would have to start working out and eating better (boo!)
Anyways, so after reading everything again, I think I'll just stick with the boob. It's what I know. It's what Ryder knows. I figure if I can make it to one year and just switch him over to regular milk at that time, then I won't have to do formula. Plus, I can eat all the xmas cookies and thanksgiving pies I want over the winter....bhahaha. I'm terrible. Oh yeah, and the main reason: it's good for Ryder........
I guess I will continue to go back and forth all the time. I think whether I did bottle OR breast, I would complain about either one. I'm a professional complainer, in case you didnt know. It's generally just a pain in the ass. No offense Ryder boy.

3 comments:

  1. Just do what works best for you guys! I may be wrong - but if you keep pumping in the middle of the night isn't it making your body think you need to keep producing more milk? There has to be a way you can get your boobs to understand they don't need to be milked in the middle of the night, no? I know the pain of engorgement is awful, but what would happen if you didn't pump in the middle of the night? I promise your boobs will not explode. Although I can't promise you'd get any sleep with the pain. But eventually it would subside, right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been working on getting the boobs to go longer without being drained. The longest I have gone so far is 8 hours (I almost died). I pump usually around 930 to 10 and then go to bed, but then my boobs usually wake me up after 6-8 hours. I can totally tolerate 6 or 7 but anything after that just kills! So there is no way I could wait till 8am when Ryder eats for the first time. But like I said, I'm am teaching the boobs to go longer, but it's taking awhile I guess. Eventually I hope to be able to go the whole night.

    ReplyDelete
  3. To eliminate the night time pumping you need to only pump a little out and then stop. that tricks your boobs into thinking the baby is not hungry at that time, but gives you some relief. When i stopped the night feedings with Ari i would just lay a towel under me in bed and let them leak to relieve the pressure and hold out until that morning feeding. As far as the gas and fussiness with Ryder and formula. Its normal for all babies to go through that even though it sucks big time. You may also have the same problem with whole milk at the year mark also. (just something to think about) Cant wait to see you and Ryder tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete