Monday, February 28, 2011

Super Human Immune System

Lately I've been questioning what happened to my super human immune system I once had. The whole entire time I was pregnant and all throughout nursing I never once got sick. (minus the horrible morning/all day sickness from week 7 to 12 when I was pregnant--but I don't count that as sick-sick). Not one sniffle, throat ache...NOTHING! It was a glorious, illness-free 20 months. Since I have stopped breast feeding 5 or 6 weeks ago or whatever it was, I have gotten the flu and what was just an annoying chest cold a few days ago is now a chest cold AND a head cold. What the heck!?? There has got to be some sort of connection between stronger immune systems and being pregnant/nursing. (I should research this. Key word: should. I am not going to, but maybe someone reading this knows something). I mean, think about all the lack of sleep I got from not only having a new baby but also working night shift...how could I have not gotten at least a cold then?? But now...bam. Sick. Stupid. And what makes me feel even worse is that I think Chubbs McGee might be getting my cold. Why do I think this?? He was awake a ton last night. Crying really hard when he did wake up. Very stuffy. Watery eyes. Runny nose (although it is clear still...) sneezing a lot. Hopefully, this is the worst of it for him. Otherwise I'll feel terrible! How could you not feel guilty getting this guy sick?? --->

4 comments:

  1. Carly I feel your pain. Ari and I were sick 2 weeks ago. The worst part was Eric was out of town for 5 days.I felt terrible that I got Ari sick luckily she wasnt as sick as me. When your pregnant your immune system works over time, most woman are way healthier during pregnancy. Im sure the same goes for when you are nursing because you are going off ZERO sleep and energy. I personally think this winter is the worst winter i have had with being sick. It sucks! Most winters i can stay pretty healthy. We miss you guys! Lets plan a day to hang out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carly, actually when you're pregnant your immune system is suppressed. Your body does this so you dont treat the foreign object in your body (aka baby) as something it needs to fight off and get rid of....so you were just lucky I guess! Catie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are you still taking pre-natal vitamins!?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Teri: so sorry to hear it's been a bad winter for you! It (hopefully) is almost over.

    Catie: I take my prenatals here and there still when I remember. Probably like every other day. But I just thought it was super weird that the second I'm done with nursing I get sick twice in five weeks when I was healthy for 20 MONTHS! whatever

    ReplyDelete